TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

kitty problems

Moderator: TenantNet

kitty problems

Postby kannedo » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:02 pm

I convinced my previous landlady to allow my cat to live with us about 6 months after we initially moved in. She did some minor damage (urination on carpet), but I cleaned the carpet 10+ times before we moved out and honestly thought I had removed all traces of her. She returned my deposit in full to me one week after our final walk-through, in which nothing out of the ordinary was noted.

Now, 3.5 months later, my landlady has written me an email saying that she has pulled up the carpet and there are unine stains and odors. Is there anything that I am legal obligated to do? Can she sue me for damages? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
kannedo

Re: kitty problems

Postby Lilly » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:36 pm

Ever heard the expression "a clean getaway"?

She can sue you but I sincerely doubt she'd win, 1)because she already returned your security deposit to you and 2) approx 115 days have elapsed since you lived there. The return of your security was her acknowledgement that the condition of the apartment was acceptable, that there was no damage other than reasonable wear and tear.
Morally is another story; you know your cat did it! And, you probably knew that it seeped thru the rug to the floor underneath(always does).

The problem is that once you start in with her you're admitting the damage, and then she may use your emails or any communications you have with her to support her case, where none existed before.

Refinishing a wood floor is expensive, and if she's pulling up the wall-to-wall carpeting(how else could she have seen it?) she would have to refinish the floors anyway.

My advice is to not respond.
Lilly

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York