TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease Agreement

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease Agreement

Postby Hogdaddy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 pm

I signed a lease agreement for a home in minnesota. Less than 24 hours
later my boss is sending me back to st. Louis mo. I know that in Nebraska, a lease may be canceled within 3 days. The landlord now wants to take me to court. Is there a law that protects me on this? We never even moved in....the place was still rented by others for two more weeks.
Please help.
Thank you
Hogdaddy

Postby Downtown » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:26 am

If there is a law that reads 3 day, then you are well within that limit. Certainly the LL (after less than 24 hrs.) has not suffered any loss. Would find a copy of that law to show/fax LL.

Also, worth a call/consult with tenant atty (from that state), if LL won't budge.....if you have paid deposit and rent. If no monies paid, then just send/fax letter restating as per our conversation of date, wil not be able to rent address.

Find the 3 day law.
Downtown

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:26 am

It would be called a Lemon Law and in many states these cover car sales and other large consumer purchases. If it's in your state, see if it covers or excludes residential real estate.

Check the lease carefully to see if there are technicalities.

Make an offer of compromise, i.e., one month rent and it all goes away -- if the LL will do it in writing. ANd if it costs, charge your boss.

Help find another tenant. The LL would have to claim economic damages from you backing out.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Lease Agreement

Postby Hogdaddy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:03 am

Well, I talked to my boss about the situation. He said that he would take care of it. He has known the LL for a long time. Want to thank the replies I received from you.
Hogdaddy
Hogdaddy

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York