TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent increase without notice - PA

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent increase without notice - PA

Postby javabean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:56 pm

My lease expires on Sep, 30. I had to give 60 days notice if I did not want to renew. I did not give that notice, but I did not know that rent will be increased. I received the letter saying that the rent will be increased only on Aug, 7. It was sent via certified mail on 21th July and the USPS tracking shows that they tried to deliver it on July, 25. But I did not find any post office notice in my mailbox. Then the USPS tried to deliver it on August 5 and this time they left a notice and I went to the post office on Aug, 7 and got that letter. I called the management company immediately. but they said that now its too late to do anything, the lease is renewed and the rent is increased.

So basically I was not able to accept or decline the rent increase, it all happened without me knowing.

My lease agreement says this:

(b) The lease will automatically renew for one year if neither party ends the Lease..... Automatic renewal will not change the terms of this Lease expect that the rent for each renewal term is increased by prevailing Consumer Price Index.

(c) Landlord may increase the rent or change any other term of the Lease for any renewal period by sending written notice to Tenant. Landlord must send this notice at least 60 days before the end of the Term...

Tenant may reject the renewal terms by sending written notice to Landlord by certified mail, withing 15 days of the date of Landlord's renewal notice..

------
But I cannot reject it now because when I received this notice it was already past 15 days since the date on the notice. Also they say that according to (b) they could increase rent without even giving a notice because it increased by (or below) some Comumer Price Index. Which I think contradicts paragraph (c) that says that they should give a notice.

Can I do anything now??
javabean

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York