TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Oral Agreement gone wrong - VT

Moderator: TenantNet

Oral Agreement gone wrong - VT

Postby EVT_Chris » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:15 am

On May 1st, my roommate and I moved from our apartment to his father's duplex which was on the market to sell. We were told that we could live there free of charge until the house sold as long as we did maintenence, kept it clean for showings, and kept the yard mowed and trimmed.

July rolled around and the house had not sold. My roommate mentioned that his father might have to start charging rent, but wasn't sure. 2 weeks into July the owner, my roommate's father, came to me and told me that a) we were to pay half of July's rent b) we had to start paying full rent in August if we choose to stay and c) we were to pay a 3 month power bill which had never been discussed and was in his name. I told him I was looking to move out August 1st, and told him I didn't have the money for him at the moment. He came back a week later asking for the money again and I said I still didn't have any money for him because I was waiting on the pending sale of my car. He started complaining about how long it was taking me and that his mortgage was due the following day and he didn't have any money to pay it because we weren't paying any rent and the house hadn't sold.

Turns out I couldn't find a place until 2nd week in August and was clear with my communication about that. At that point he claimed I owed at least half month's rent for August along with the power bill and half of July's rent. I put it off for a few days while I researched my rights, given there was never even technically a verbal lease, until I found a letter on my desk saying I had to be out the following day by noon and pay up all the money or else they would have my belongings removed and would take me to court. I got all of my stuff out that night and left for the weekend on a trip I had been planning. A few days later I got an email saying he was going to sue me for rent and utilities, despite the fact that we were told we could live there free of charge in exchange for maintaining the property, unless I paid up.

So basically there was never a rent established until he couldn't sell the place and there was never any communication about responsibility for utilities until that time as well (when he clearly stated he had financial problems). As far as I see it, it was never even an oral lease. What are my rights as far as this goes? What will happen if I go to court?

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by EVT_Chris on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVT_Chris

Postby Aubergine » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:58 am

You didn't mention what country or state you are in and where this property is located.
Aubergine

Postby EVT_Chris » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 am

Sorry. I am in Chittenden County, VT.

Thanks,
Chris
EVT_Chris

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York