TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

renting from family in PA :(

Moderator: TenantNet

renting from family in PA :(

Postby glaz10497 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:27 pm

My husbandand I are renting from my sister and her husband. we have no lease. we have been asking for over two years for them to fix the problems with this house and they have done nothing. the bathroom leaks so much that mushrooms started growing on the carpet near the sink. the furnace doesn't heat the whole house and there's no insulation in the attic. the garage is full of their stuff, the basement is always wet and musty.
we pay $500 a month and we are not behind. we can't get them to do the repairs. do we have any rights as tenants without a lease? any info would be greatly appreciated.
glaz10497

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 am

I would like to suggest that you approach your relative and offer to pay for all the repairs and that you will deduct the costs from your rent. However, from the description of the place where you live, it may be better for you to move elsewhere - even into a trailer that is in better condition, newer and worth the rent or investment. I realize the cost of moving can be expensive but I would suggest that you cease all business relations with family members. It always gets 'sticky'. (I do know that it does not cost much to buy attic insullation and put it down yourself - I have done that myself. But it sounds to me as if the whole house has an insullation problem and that would require major, major restoration $.) I would move...good luck.
Iddabiddy35

Get Out

Postby Rodneystri » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:51 am

Get out now it will not work. They want your money and don't want to do what is right.
Rodneystri

told them i need a lease

Postby glaz10497 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:20 pm

i told my sis i need a lease because i need some rights as a tenant. if they won't give me a lease we are going to move.
glaz10497

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Rodneystri is right - move now. You say you have been renting from your sister for over TWO years and you still do not have a lease - forget it, you're not going to get a lease now. I am afraid, she is taking your money and it's easy money for her. Sorry to be so blunt - but I wonder if your sister would be able to rent this apartment to anyone else without a lease. I would move as soon as possible. Good luck.
Iddabiddy35

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York