TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Who do I have to allow into the apartment ?

Moderator: TenantNet

Who do I have to allow into the apartment ?

Postby Petra_Means_Rock » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:53 am

The apartment I'm living in (a condo I rent from the owner) is being sold.

I live in Philadelphia.

I have 3 questions:

1. Do I have to allow a lock box.
2. Am I within my rights to insist (not just request) that the LL or the agent she's hired to sell the place be present at every showing (open houses included).
3. Do I have to leave for any of these viewings or open houses? I'm not asking if I can request to be at all the open houses, only that if I'm here while one is scheduled do I have to leave.

Thanks!
Petra_Means_Rock

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 am

I think you have to contact the your landlord or the owner of this condo that you are renting about your questions. The owner is responsible, in my mind, for informing the brokers that there is someone living in the condo that has rights of privacy etc.. I don't think a lock box can be attached to your front door unless you have a key to the lock box as well. The brokers MUST be aware that you are living there and you must also become aware that they can come and go whenever they want unless the brokers know in advance, what time they can bring prospective buyers in to see the condo. I believe a broker must be present at every open house. I would feel nervous about all this what with all your personal furnishings and belongings about....However, all your questions and concerns should be addressed to the condo owner from whom you rent.
Iddabiddy35

Postby cardinalfang » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 am

Do you have a lease? The basic rule of landlord-tenant law is that the rented premises is the tenant's castle, not the landlord's. The tenant pays rent for, among other things, the right to keep other people out of the premises, including the landlord and people the landlord sends to visit. A lease agreement may vary that in favor of the landlord. Read your lease.
cardinalfang

Postby cardinalfang » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:18 am

Iddabiddy35 wrote:I think you have to contact the your landlord or the owner of this condo that you are renting about your questions. . . . However, all your questions and concerns should be addressed to the condo owner from whom you rent.
I would suggest finding out what your legal rights are before contacting the landlord, rather than asking the landlord for the landlord's opinion about your obligations. It's all too likely that the landlord will have a one-sided view of the issue, which will not favor you.
cardinalfang

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York