TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Florida Question

Moderator: TenantNet

Florida Question

Postby dawnkh » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Hello -

I had a roommate move out (both he and i were on the lease) with about 3 months left on our lease. I stupidly decided to let someone else move in with me, thus illegally subletting the place. The new roommate has turned out to be incorrigable, and has me actually worrying about my things.

My question is, what rights do I have? What rights does she have? Am i able to kick her out? She has paid rent on time for the 2 months she has lived here, but has left people in the apartment when neither of us were there, gone in my room and taken my things, and hasn't grocery shopped for 2 months - eating my food the whole time. These things might seem trivial, but I've had it up to here with it, and I want the situation diffused. If i contact my rental office, will they throw me out? What options do I have? We did sign a document saying that she'd pay rent on time, we'd respect the shared areas of the house, blah blah blah.
dawnkh

Roommate

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi All
I don't know the roommate laws in Fla but in NY a tenant is allowed to have a roommate who is usually not on the lease and it's not required to have LL's permission. An apt sublet is a different matter than a roommate, a sublet involves the entire apt. Check your local laws.
As for this persons entering your room install a nany cam or a placebo so they know you are on top of their actions. Maybe this will stop it. I would say put a lock on your door but that might affect egress issues. Check the local regs on that.
Give this person the proper time frame notice to leave and consider a new roommate. Good Luck :)
Emeraldstar

Postby cestmoi123 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

FYI, the roommate rule is not clear for situations where there is more than one person on the lease - in that case, the tenants may not be entitled to a roommate.
cestmoi123

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Don't confuse the OP. This is FLA.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York