TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking a lease before the lease term begins

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking a lease before the lease term begins

Postby Marta Gonzalez » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:25 am

The past July 25th 2007 I signed a lease for a 2-bd apartment in MA. I gave the owner 2 checks corresponding the security deposit and last month of rent. It was a 12 moth lease starting on September 1st.

The following day I realized that the after school program at the nearest school costs more than twice the usual price in the rest of other public
Schools. I notified the Landlord on Friday July 27th that I could not proceed with the lease. He was unhappy and hanged up the phone,
minutes after called me to the cell phone of a collegue telling him (because I was not in front) that I had to send the original lease form to him
(which I already did). After his call I stopped the check of the last month
of rent and hours later signed another lease to live elsewhere with the
required price for the after School program. I am a working mother who lives alone with a 9-year-old Son.

On July 30th he has cashed from my account the security deposit.
Yesterday I received an e-mail from him telling me that I am responsible
for the terms of the lease until he finds a new tenant, he was upset realizing that the check of the last month was stopped. I learned in internet that it seems to be the case that I must be responsible for the rent if he does not find a new tenant, but I am not sure if this applies also if I broke the lease before the term started and within 48 hours after signing it. Now I really can not pay the two rents and do not know how I should proceed.
Marta Gonzalez

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 am

Without answering the question, please, on a public internet forum NEVER leave your real name and personal details so publicly displayed. We edited out that information. But be careful in the future.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York