TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Pets Clause- Roomate brings new pet

Moderator: TenantNet

No Pets Clause- Roomate brings new pet

Postby uberpissed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 pm

I recently just moved into a house with some friends in college. When discussing our then future house, I made it abundnatly clear that I did not want a pet. I went so far as to say it was a condition of me agreeing to move in. My roomates happen to be big fish tank enthusiasts, and it was agreed that they would be allowed, as long as they were in their own respective rooms and not common rooms. The lease with our landlord explicitly states that "no pets are allowed". The landlord allowed the fish however, as we all agreed they were fine.

3 months later my roomates have gotten additional pets (frog, tarantula, and scorpion). They asked if they could buy them. I said no. Then they did. Their defense is that they keep them in their own room, so its not my business. Mine is that we agreed nothing but fish. (When a tarantula gets loose its everyone's business).

Do I have a right to ask my landlord to compel my roomates to remove their respective pets? Don't I have a say in the risk involved?

Thanks
uberpissed

Postby lofter1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:15 am

How many times has the tarantula which resides in your roommate's room gotten loose?
lofter1

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York