TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

ex boyfriend gave belongings to thrift store

Moderator: TenantNet

ex boyfriend gave belongings to thrift store

Postby boomway » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

I am devastated to say the least. I have been in constant contact with my ex boyfriend Richard about the things I left at his house in Las Vegas. I moved to california. Our agreement was I wouldnt claim the rent I paid on my taxes and he wouldnt claim the income. This is around $3300 for 6 months. I was there in Dec to get most of them. I couldnt fit it all on the truck that my elderly father was driving. Actually I wanted to, but my dad was driving the truck. I told him he could have my bed for storing the stuff. I told Richard I would be back soon. This was one month after I had a heart attack. I also have copd and on an oxygen tank.

In mid February richard sent me an email that "when he got his income tax he would rent a truck and get rid of my stuff" I replied 1 week after getting the email that I would be there. About a week later I finally got ahold of a truck again and sent him an email I would be there the beginning of may. He replied saying my stuff was gone. He said it was at American Veterans of America. I called and found out that it was a schedulec pick up. He didnt even use his income tax. The manager seemed nice on the phone but when I got there he was a jerk.
I would have bought some of the stuff back but he wouldnt help not one bit. Richard implied he may have some of the stuff at his house but I met the police there and richard had the right to refuse my entry because I dont live there. He did admit to having my bed. He wouldnt answer my question about what else he has.

Some of the things were made or owned by my deceased mother. My high school yearbooks and photo albums that held the only pictures of my relatives in germany I have. I cry everyday because I remember something else. Alot of the things cannot have a price put on them. I did however add it up to about $5300.

Would this be a civil case or a small claims case?. I know the limit for small claims is $5000 and its only monetary. I want to know what he has besides my bed and I want it back if it was my moms or belongs to my daughter.
boomway

Postby JohnMI » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Why did you want an entire week after he said that he was going to get rid of your stuff??

If someone sent me an email to that they were going to get rid of my stuff (regardless of him saying "when I get my income tax"), I would have immediately told him that I was coming for it!

I just can't see waiting a week before saying "um, please don't throw my stuff out -- I want it!"

That being said, if you hadn't prearranged for an illegal rental to avoid the tax implications, then you'd likely have a case against him for not properly notifying you of disposal of your stuff. But, since you went along with cheating the government on this, you may not be out of luck. I'd have to recommend a lawyer for this one -- again, because you started off trying to cheat from the start...

- John...
[I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Your mileage may vary. Look both ways before crossing.]
JohnMI

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York