TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord letting his friend stay in my room while i'm gone

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord letting his friend stay in my room while i'm gone

Postby kfm » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi guys,

I live in a single family house in Maryland. I rent the basement, which has its own entrance and its own bathroom, but I share a kitchen with the landlord/owner of the house, who lives on the first floor. He has another tenant on the second floor.

I was away for 2 weeks and got back Saturday to find that someone had been living in my apartment. The place, which had been cleaned right before I left, was a mess, someone had slept in my bed, used my shower, and drank (stole) my coffee. There was some minor damage to my tablecloth and bath mat, and the "guest" broke my Brita pitcher. I confronted the landlord and he confirmed via email that he had let a friend of his stay in my room. He has offered to reimburse me one night's rent plus the cost of my broken Brita pitcher. I told him that wasn't enough. I'm now sending complaints to the county housing department and the state AG's office of consumer protection. I'm asking for 2 weeks rent reimbursement (that was the amount of time I was gone), plus $50 to replace or repair my damaged property.

My lease gives the landlord right to enter at any "reasonable" time to make repairs, inspect the premises, etc. It does not say anything about my personal belongings.

Am I in the right here and how much of a case do I have? How likely is it that the county/state will back me up? Thanks!!
kfm

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York