TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Problems..

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Problems..

Postby VaughnK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 am

Live in a residential home broken up into two apartments.

Problem #1 - We only have one meter reader for both apartments, so the other tenant and I argue about who owes what for the electric/gas bill. I asked the landlord about installing a second meter reader for my apartment and she told it cost $5000.00 and she cannot afford it.

Problem #2 - My gas oven broke and I called my landlord about getting someone to take a look at it. Again, she told she could not afford it and I should use a toaster over. She also suggested for me to buy my own oven and take it with me when I move.

Is this legal? Do I have any rights?
VaughnK

Research

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi All
I have no clue what area you reside in but in NYC if a house is converted into 2 apts it is customary to have a seperate electric meter for each apt. I'm not sure how the gas is handled but my guess it's seperate as well or included in the rent? In a legal conversion the owner has filed for any number of permits and pass inspection, also the area has to permit two family/multiple zoning. I suggest you search the web for your local to determine if your apt. legal or not? To suggest to a tenant a toaster oven or own stove sounds fishy to me. :roll: I say the search because what rights you have may be clearer when you know your areas laws.
Emeraldstar

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York