TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Harrassing and Scary Landlord

Moderator: TenantNet

Harrassing and Scary Landlord

Postby JackieJ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:50 pm

I moved into this apt 8 mos ago. I live with my 18 yr old daughter and her infant son. I rent from a rental agency. Problem is the building owner stops by, comes in without announcement, always has. It has gotten worse. Within days of moving in, the roof started leaking, I reported it. They did nothing. The owner called and said he'd take care of it. Months later, and three letters, several phone calls, we were living with pots scattered about the living room and a gaping hole. Finally I called the health department, it had taken them five months for them to repair. All the while I paid my rent, was never late. When I did that, both the agency and owner freaked out on me.

We are the only tenants in this two unit building, Since the health depo call, the Landlord comes in everyday, drives by twice a day. Complains about everything. Including the stroller in our hallway. Complained that we had cable. Last month they had cut backs at work, I called the management company on 11/23 to notiy them I would be late with Dec rent due on the 5th. I told them I'd have it by the 15th. The owner came to my place today, pounded on the door and said to pay the rent. Rents two days late.

I'm starting to get scared. He seems to buly me. I'm a pretty small woman, Like I said he drives by and watches at least twice a day. It's freaky. I told the leasing agent about this, but nothing has been done. Do I have any rights whatsoever? Anyone know?
JackieJ

Postby cdonovan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:25 am

Yes you have rights. See if there is a fair housing office in your area. If that doesn't work, if you can't find one...see if there are any legal aid places that give free legal advice. Some lawyers who do charge will give you a 5 minute free consultation by phone. Find a tenant lawyer who will give you 5 minutes to point you in the right direction. You can't just call a lawyer and expect free service but some if you are up front with them will not per se advise you but give you some "tips".
cdonovan

Postby lofter1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Put a chain lock on the door so the LL can't enter the unit on his own.

Call the office of your local political representative - City Council, whatever. And / or contact your local police precinct, perhaps the community liaison officer.

Create a line of communication with someone in those offices. Make them aware of your situation. Be concise and to the point, and be sure to talk "nice" so they're on your side and become your advocate. If they don't listen to you the first time then call again or go in person and talk.

As has been said before, you have rights. Do what you can to have those rights enforced and protected. And to do what's possible to keep things from escalating.
lofter1

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York