TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Manager held my check for 14 days.

Moderator: TenantNet

Manager held my check for 14 days.

Postby hotwheels117 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 pm

When I paid my rent earlier this month, the manager told me I had paid the wrong amount. I reissued a new check 2 days later for what I was told was the total amount. A couple days age I noticed that the rent check had not cleared my bank yet. I emailed the manager asking why she had not deposited my rent. She did not reply, instead, later that day I found my rent check taped to my door with out any explanation as to why it was there. I emailed her again and ask her what was up. She replied by saying I had over paid and that she had told my son this two weeks ago. I said ok fine then, what is the total amount due for April and I asked to have it in writing also. She did not reply to that email or the second one I sent asking the same thing. That was Friday. Saturday morning I am served evictions papers. Can I really be evicted because the property manager can't handle her job?
hotwheels117

Postby fairRights » Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 pm

First, are you Rent Stabilized? If you are, they definitely cannot. You may still have to go to court to prove what happened, but as long as you have the rent you are fine.

Do not take the landlords word if they claim you are not rent stabilized. Take your lease and id to DHCR and ask for your rent history. DHCR will also tell you if your apt is rent stabilized.

If your apt is truly not rent stabilized, I doubt they can evict you. You will still have to go yo court to tell the judge your side of the story. The bottom line is have the check ready to pay in court. Bring all emails or correspondence that you sent trying to work this out.

Also, mail a certified return receipt- make a copy for your records- to the landlord/managing agent outlining your case point by point with another check, asking if this is some mix up. See if they cash it and drop the eviction.
fairRights

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York