TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord denying us use of bathroom.

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord denying us use of bathroom.

Postby livelyhiccup » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I live in MS and have been renting an apartment (which is just a few rooms in a very large house) from our landlord and his wife for 4 months. We have been noticing that the area around our toilet has been sagging and when we sit on the toilet, it actually sinks in some. I had finally (after 2 weeks worth of trying) got a call back from my landlady. I asked if she wanted to come collect the rent and she said that she was too tired. I said that I worked tomorrow but would drop it by but she said that the following day (Tues) would be fine. At this time, I had planned to let her know about the toilet issues after I paid the rent just because I thought it would be best to wait until after we paid to notify her of a problem.

While I was gone at work on Monday, she had apparently stopped by and began to yell at my fiancée saying that we were destroying her house and that she was giving us until the end of the month to get out. I decided that since I would not be getting home until close to 11pm, that I would just call her in the morning and see about talking to her.

She arrived the next day at 7:30 am with 2 plumbers and refused to talk to me until after they left. Finally when they had, I began to ask her what had happened yesterday to have her give us our notice and she began yelling again telling us that there was no way that we could have not known that the floor was entirely rotten and that we must have been deliberately letting water run onto the floor and letting it sit there to cause the rotting. I told her that we knew of the leak near the bathtub and had been trying to catch it with the pan she had shoved aside and that I had planned on telling her about it when she was supposed to pick up the rent. She called us liars and said that we had to be out by the end of the month. I asked for a copy of our lease (which I still haven't received). She had told us that we needed to go across the hall to use the bathroom in the empty apartment if we needed to. At this time, it had no power or source of heating.

So we noticed yesterday that the power had been turned on and that there was a new tenant to be moving in soon. Today however she approached us and said that the new tenant would be moving in Sunday (tomorrow) and that we wouldn't be able to use that bathroom their either. I asked her what we were supposed to do and she shrugged and changed the subject.

SO, my question is, can she deny us use to the bathroom for the rest of the month?

And picture of the damage that we apparently caused in 3 months.
[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/fcr7vb.png[/img][/img]
livelyhiccup

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York