TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HELP!! My ex-landlord is accusing me of stealing!!!

Moderator: TenantNet

HELP!! My ex-landlord is accusing me of stealing!!!

Postby shirley778899 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 am

I was on a month to month with a house owner for me to rent a room. The stupid part (for me) was that we had nothing in writing EVERYTHING was verbal because we kind of knew each other (really really not that well).

I'm in CA btw.
Anyway after 1 month they accused me not locking the front door (it was a 20 year old lock that was very tricky) so they decided to kick me out. That's fine.

My concern was my rent coz I pay from 18th -18th every month, which means 2/18-3/18 and then 3/18-4/18. But they decided to tell me to move out on 3/20 after I gave them my check! I started looking for a place and I ASKED them about the rent. They first said they WON'T take it, then 3 days later coz I still couldn't find a new place they said they'd take my check but would give me back prorated rent once I move out. Again, all of this was verbal.

I moved out on 3/23 and went to the restaurant that they own and gave them the keys back. They said they'd mail me the rest of my rent which is about $389 and asked me to leave an address. (My boyfriend was with me)

Today is 5/18. There was nothing. So I called, and I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT HE SAID TO ME: He accused me of stealing things from his house! I said "I have never took anything from you, tell me what they are!" He said "oh you can't say that, you took a lot! I was gonna call the police but I didn't coz you're still young.

The $300 you're asking for doesn't even cover it" I said "give me a list, maybe they got misplaced in my boxes coz my bf helped me moved. But so far I haven't seen anything in my apt that's not mine. Everything was what I had when I moved here from Washington"

He said "I lost knives, plates, and other things" I was just SO confused coz I have ONE knife right now that I bought from Wal-mart and have 3 plates that I brought from WA I have nothing that belonged to him! And he just wouldn't give me a list OR my money back.

I felt really really really bullied! I'm so wrongly accused! I have never stolen anything! Can someone PLEASE HELP ME !?!?
shirley778899

Postby lappert » Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 am

What is "coz"?
lappert

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York