TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

question about interior stairs

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

question about interior stairs

Postby <Jennifer> » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:01 am

Can anyone point me towards some reliable info on building code requirements for interior stairs in a duplex. I'll admit upfront this is not a tenant query- I want to buy a two family house and incorporate the basement (which is currently used as an illegal third apartment & which is below ground on the front side and completely above ground in the rear) into the first floor unit to make it a larger, duplex apartment. The stairs are very narrow now & I need to find out how wide they are supposed to be.

Thanks for any info or links.

J
<Jennifer>

Re: question about interior stairs

Postby <andy> » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:15 pm

Not sure about the stairs.....but you should make sure the tenant has vacated before you close on the house.

So either YOU or the present owner should Plan on PAYING the tenant all their security back PLUS moving expenses......and maybe a free months rent....so they dont pay rent in 2 places at the same time

Or else the tenant can sit there for maybe 6 months and not pay rent till their court date in Supreme court, not housing court. Becuse it is illegal for a landlord to collect rent on an illegal apartment. And YOU dont want to get stuck with a rent free tenant now would you.
<andy>

Postby <JJ> » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:55 pm

Caution: it may be illegal to use all of part of that illegal third apartment for human habitation.
Check the Certificate of Occupancy and/or the Zonig Res for the house.
Learn more about the subject, start here:
http://www.townsunited.com/illegal_coversions.htm
Also, read the info on the DOB pages on nyc.gov
<JJ>

Postby <andy> » Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:35 am

My present landlord made the basement into a semi apartment, and was hassled many times over he years he said..........

His excuse was he had 6 kids and needed to put them somewhere and he needed the 2nd floor to be a rented apartment......

I guess thats the key......YOU as the owner can use the basement for added living space but you cant rent it out!
<andy>

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC