TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sloping Floors In Renovated Apartment

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

Sloping Floors In Renovated Apartment

Postby watchingthewheels » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:35 pm

I have recently moved into a new apartment in the East Village with my wife. Upon initially viewing the apartment it was in the first stages of being renovated and the floors were severly sloping. A few attempts to come see the apartment before we moved in were averted by the realtor but that didn't seem too peculiar since all requests fell under time restraints between both parties. When we finally moved into apartment however we found that the apartment had been renovated in every way except that the new hardwood floors had been laid down on the severly sloping floors. No attempt had been made to level them at all. Now it's impossible to stand any furniture on the floors without propping counterbalances (such as thick books and the like) underneath the furniture.

Is there anything that can be done to remedy this through city or government agencies, since the few messages I've left at the management companies answering machine have gone unanswered?
watchingthewheels

Re: Sloping Floors In Renovated Apartment

Postby <mackk> » Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:42 am

I really cant think of anything, floors sag, houses settle, even 2 family homes my apartment i have to do the same in a few corners.

Of course you should Immediately get renters insurance to protect your belongings just in case something tips over from the proveable uneven floors.
<mackk>

Postby <David> » Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:48 pm

Floors and buildings do settle, but it's a matter of degree -- how severe is it? I've seen plenty of apartments where a ball will roll down a hallway, but if you're talking having to put a 1" book under a table leg to balance it with the other table leg (only a few feet away), then that's a problem. Speak to an engineer to see if the situation is dangerous and what are the potential remedies (other than rejoisting the building). Do the research before examining the legal remedies.
<David>

Postby dakellner@kcdlaw.com » Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:37 pm

You can file a complaint with the Department of Buildings. DoB will send an inspector who will determine if the problem is structural and poses a safety threat. Although I am not familiar with the exact standard, both Dept of Buildings and Department of Housing Preservation & Development inspectors will write violations for floors with siginificant sloping. If the problem is structural, Dep't of Buildings is the right agency to complain to. If the problem is not structural, Dep't of Housing Preservation & Development has jurisdiction. Non-structural violations for sloping floors are corrected by installing a new, level sub-floor and then placing a finished floor on top.
Originally posted by watchingthewheels:
I have recently moved into a new apartment in the East Village with my wife. Upon initially viewing the apartment it was in the first stages of being renovated and the floors were severly sloping. A few attempts to come see the apartment before we moved in were averted by the realtor but that didn't seem too peculiar since all requests fell under time restraints between both parties. When we finally moved into apartment however we found that the apartment had been renovated in every way except that the new hardwood floors had been laid down on the severly sloping floors. No attempt had been made to level them at all. Now it's impossible to stand any furniture on the floors without propping counterbalances (such as thick books and the like) underneath the furniture.

Is there anything that can be done to remedy this through city or government agencies, since the few messages I've left at the management companies answering machine have gone unanswered?
dakellner@kcdlaw.com

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC