TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Looking For Tenants With Experience of This Delimma

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Looking For Tenants With Experience of This Delimma

Postby necii » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:12 am

Coralrose:
I realize it must be difficult for anyone to inspect you claim as the noise problems seem to be occurring late at night. Do you have anyway of recording or videotaping the noise in your apartment.
I have steam heat and usually there is little clanking but overall it is pretty quiet. However one night at about 3am it sounded like one of my neighbors was hitting the heating pole pipe in the bathroom. The banging was so loud I could not even tell exactly where it was coming from...above, below or the apartment next to me. We have had one or two similar incidents which sounded more like water banging thru the pipes and definitely not loud like the first incident. Is either close to what you are hearing?
I sleep with an air purifier running (white noise drowns out alot) and it softens the sounds from the uncarpeted clods above me.
Besides taping the noise, do you have any neighbors who could corraborate the problem? strength in numbers you know...
necii

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks for the response Necii. Yes I attempted to record. Now have to track down a friend with a VCR to ascertain just what is on the tapes. Do you have any info re: HPD? I accept private messages if needed.
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:26 am

Sorry about the lack of response to your post. The message somehow posted in full after I posted first reply? My first post pretty much says it all. I do have neighbors as well as outside friends who have heard it though they do not have the full impact as I do since I get it thru the night. Concensus is "what is that?"
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:15 pm

Update: So carpet & padding down. Pipes are still banging though less intense and more random thru the night. Upstairs tenants still active as in 1st post. Just a share: Recently 3 Sopranos types left the floor above/apt above,we met upon the stairs exiting build together. Believe me "there is something amiss with that apt" not the tenants at all! Either the above or NYPD(hopefully)
Have been doing search on site and just want to say thank you for having such helpful info. Learned that my sit. is more of a housing court sit. than DHCR. Thank God (DHCR phew!) While it all may sound odd it's still a fact and I cannot express fully how greatfull I am to the forum which has given me strength & hope towards a resolution & justice for an issue reeking of harassment.
Has any one used the services of a Pro. Engineer? Please share any info. Thanks
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:28 pm

I asked if anyone has attempted a dispute with HPD. So far no takers. Still open minded to advice/info.
I have not recieved any response verbal/written to a f/u re: carpet install. Should I request the LL f/u? The orginal letter was reg. mail not RRR. :)
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 am

Pipe update: Approx two weeks ago the hissing sound discussed in 1st post has somehow (devine intervention,manual adjust?) lowered in tone to barely perceptable. Even more "miraculousy" is the ceasing of the water running up /down in wall described by HPD as a normal part of the plumming. The buld. has water so I guess it must be piped in from the hydrant across the street! Gotta luv HPD :roll:
Emeraldstar

Postby Reddew » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 pm

I also had the same experience pertaining to the pipe condition the pipes banging and I have air vents in the kitchen and bathroom and hear the blowing of air coming from the vent especially at night. what I did was closed my air vents. I also learned that my building is poorly insulated that I can hear my neigbors next door and below me walking around in their apartments. The floor are wood floors but I shouldn't hear my neighbors next door or below me walking around. My heating system has water running through the pipes and I get loud banging sounds from the radiator and from behind the walls. When I inquired about the clanging and banging of the pipes the plummer said it has alot to do with the pressure of the water traveling up and returning back down through the pipes. I check with DOB about about hearing my next door neighbors and flushing of the tiolets and they said hearing my neighbors flushing their toilets or walking around are poor insullation between the walls.They told me that some landlord use the cheapest materials and do just enough to past inspections. I don't now if this helps any. Goodluck

<small>[ March 16, 2006, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Coyote Red ]</small>
Reddew

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:25 am

Hi Coyote Red thanks for your post. I wish my situation was as basic as you described of yours. Upon closer reading of prior posts the issues are horrific.
An update: Hissing has now increased again. Tenant upstairs enters approx.midnight, pipes begin to bang though from floor below,(again apt./employee of LL) my apt. is padded/carpeted completely though the bangs coincide with my movements, even a brief barefooted walk to use my toilet is met with a bang befor I enter bathroom. Upstairs tenant still walks into each room I enter though I can't imagine how they manage this all night long. As soon as I leave my bed their right on the room to room.
I'll share the newest: not money but killowatt usuage unusually high, called Con Ed and followed advice. No meter problems but let me say when I shut down the circut breakers the running around from the apt. above and the slamming of stair way doors was really loud. So to add to the other posts I now live with the circuts off (except for fridge) when I'm out and attempting to sleep. The pipe bangs did decreased in numbers since. There should be help for this sort of thing but I was informed that Con Ed would have to notify LL. Do you think after all I've been through that this would stop the problems, I don't. At this point I'm leaning towards media, district attorney as a possiabile solution. Still to poor to hire private help. Thanks though to tenant net it really does help. :)
Emeraldstar

Postby Reddew » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Emeraldstar,

I also have the owner/propertymanager whose has family members, employees who live and work for the LL in the building. its sounds like they are trying to get you to vacate the apartment. One thing I have notice with some LL if they know you live alone they think they can intimidate and bully you even more(especially women). I went through a situation with one of the employees and called the police and had him removed. He felt because he worked for the LL he couldn't be touch. I haven't seen him since. I kept record dates and times and recording of every conversation that I had with them that took place in my apartment. Anything that they need to say to me they had to document it and send it to me since they wanted to become unreasonable with there behavior. But if they can detect every move you make in your apartment like your saying. Do they have access to your apartment when your not home. is it possible they have a listening device or camera to monitor your coming and goings. Its always good to monitor your surrounding. have you ever seen who the people are above and below you. I would start a paper trail and any important paper work you may have between you and the LL I wouldn't keep in the apartment so that nothing happens to the paper work. I know it can be mentally and emotionally draining, but these are the steps some LL take when you make goodfaith complaints. But getting the government officials involve (HPD, DHCR, DOB) is a good idea so that there will be a paper trail. It might help if you have a friend or family member that could come visit for the night to see exactly what it is your going through. I also always do research to find out who the owner is of the property and who the management agency is. Sometimes you be surprise the people you deal with isn't always the landlord of the property. Goodluck!! :)
Reddew

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:37 pm

Thanks for your advice Coyote Red.
I am very much aware who the tenants below/above are,have been down/up to the apts. Know who owns bldg. Know who manages. Paper trail in tact.
DOB,HPD,DHCR phew :)
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:51 pm

Hi All
An update: pipe behind in wall of toilet started loud hissing again approx. one month ago. Two nights ago not only hissing but comboed with a high pitched screetch all night long. Here I go again another letter to ll more cost/time :roll: Still wondering for future: has anyone had expierence with HPD on disagree with their inspections ? Please share thanks :)
Emeraldstar

issue?

Postby Anna » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:46 am

Emeraldstar wrote: Still wondering for future: has anyone had expierence with HPD on disagree with their inspections ? Please share thanks :)

please summarize your issue and/or find and post link to post/reply which contains details re HPD issue (why should we re-read the whole thread???)
Anna

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi All
Sorry Anna wasn't aware anyone would need to reread post to ans. last question? :oops: Thought I was supposed to follow thread. Thanks for the advice.
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi All
Found the nature of my pipe bang problem and wanted to share the info. The ll should have known this as well as HPD.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer

The only other sit. to resolve is why/what is going on in apt. above all night. Got recordings and HPD report.
Thanks for all the advice.
Emeraldstar

Previous

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC