TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Post HP Actions

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Post HP Actions/ Certificate of No Harrasment

Postby vegastar » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

My LL is renovating, and wants to do alterations or demolition of about 8-9 rooms of former tenants who have passed away. This is a SRO building. I received a notification from DHPD to comment on the LL's request for a Cert. of No Harassment. There are 60 tenants. I know of about 4, plus me, who will deny this request. How many tenants does it take to deny this certificate? A majority? A certain percentage?
Thank you in advance!
vegastar

Re: Post HP Actions

Postby TenantNet » Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 pm

I do not know if there's a number or percentage that HPD will look at in order to determine harassment. But since it's a SRO, they are supposed to look at the last three years when a LL makes an application for alteration (known as ALT 1). ALT 1's are when they change the use or dimensions of a building, or parts of a building from the previous Certificate of Occupancy. If harassment has been found, then HPD is supposed to deny (via DOB) the application.

So you and the other tenants must organize and get yourselves to Legal Aid or Legal Services or MFY to push this through. Chances are if you do it yourselves, it might not have much impact. You must make as much of a stink as possible. You should also get the community board to pass a resolution.

I think you are in CommBoard 5

Community Board Five
450 Seventh Avenue
Suite 2109
New York, NY 10123

Also you need to lean on ALL the elected officials. Ask the Commboard who are the elected officials for your location, and contact info. The commboard and elected officials need to write letters to HPD and appear at any hearings.

Make sure part of the story is that the LL refuses to show up at any court hearings and just ignores the court's orders.

Here's some other info
http://www.mfy.org/wp-content/uploads/C ... -Burke.pdf

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downloa ... mption.pdf
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Previous

Return to Housing Court - NYC