TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

defenses - terminology

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

defenses - terminology

Postby nyc_dream » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 am

I have been living in a hotel since 1989. I am a Permanent tenant.
The hotel is about to become a 'luxury' kind of hotel. Prior to the changes, tenants had access to all parts of the hotel: 2 entrances facing 2 different streets, 3 elevators, lobby.
The landlord provided us recently with a set of rules stating that we are to use the service entrance, which comes with a number of issues as in tenants having to walk an extra block to get to certain places - and more. Also, we are not to enter the lobby area that leads to the three 'guest' elevators. In essence, the landlord has reduced access/ and use of the premises by 2/3.
I want to raise the breach of warranty as defense and am unsure about how to construct it. The problems involved are service, interfering with the enjoyment, harassment,...
Relegating tenants to using a backdoor maybe a violation of tenant rights - I am not sure about that.
Are there any other defenses that are relevant here?
My question is: are these issues treated as 1 defense with subcategories of the different violations.
nyc_dream

Re: defenses - terminology

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:58 am

This should be a continuation of your initial thread, as we told you yesterday. Please do not start a new thread for every post.

Please post this in the initial thread. This has nothing to do with Housing Court. Locking this thread.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Housing Court - NYC