TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

How Long Can You Live in NYC Rent Free Contest

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

How Long Can You Live in NYC Rent Free Contest

Postby Retaliation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm

I would like to start a contest (with moderator's approval of course :) ) -"How long can you live in NYC Rent-Free". So basically,you stop paying rent and use all legal and quasi-legal tricks in the book to prolong your stay for months (or maybe years ? :lol: :twisted: ). In the process,you share your experience/trade secrets if you wish to help other tenants. We will think of the prize. :bom:
P.S. Me? 4 months already,just started,lol>
Retaliation

Re: How Long Can You Live in NYC Rent Free Contest

Postby TenantNet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm

I think such a contest would be inappropriate given the purpose of this site: to promote tenants' rights. This site is not about seeking revenge from LL (although winning cases might eek some level of justifiable revenge). Nor is this site about costing the LL unnecessary expense. It's about fairness.

That may not have been your intent with this post, but that is how some will read it to mean.

At the risk of sounding too capitalistic, the person or entity providing your rental housing does put out money to keep things running: mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, cost of water, fuel for heat and hot water and so on. That all costs money. The LL is entitled to some level of compensation for providing all that to you.

Our concern is that the compensation is not an overcharge, that all services are provided and the LL does not harass you in the process.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Retaliation » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks,I got it.
Retaliation

Postby Longtimer » Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm

I agree with TenantNet. I'm not interested in squatting nor "sticking it to them" and getting away with something I don't deserve -- what a waste of energy. All I want is to be treated fairly and with respect.
Longtimer

Return to Housing Court - NYC