TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What happens next? (OSC, Non-Payment Eviction case)

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

What happens next? (OSC, Non-Payment Eviction case)

Postby pleadthefifth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 pm

In February, my landlord took me to court for non-payment of rent. The arrears was from October 2008-March 2009. I signed a stipulation on Feb. 24th saying I would pay October '08 - February '08, with a clause for March's rent as well. I was given 30 days to do pay.

Fast forward to now. The stipulation 'expired' today, March 24th. I was able to pay (using a one shot deal grant from HRA) most of the amount in the stipulation, save for about $325 dollars and the rent for March '09.

I know I have the option of filing an "Order to Show Cause" to ask for more time to pay the rental arrears. When do I file the OSC? How much time will they give me to pay the rest of what I owe? Also, I never see my landlord. His only address is a P.O. Box. How do I serve the OSC on the landlord if I cannot physically do so?

Also, I am waiting for a tax refund. I don't know how long it will take to arrive. Will a judge allow me to wait for the tax refund to pay off the rental arrears? I am making "good faith" payments and showing that I do indeed want to pay this off as promptly as I can. Do I have any other options? I am so afraid I will be evicted!
pleadthefifth

Return to Housing Court - NYC