TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Fallen Air Conditioner

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Fallen Air Conditioner

Postby immakiku » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi, I searched this on Google but couldn't find any good answers.

My AC fell out of my apartment window the other week as I tried to remove it. It went into the shaft between buildings. I checked to make sure nobody got hurt, tried to go into the alley to clean it up but couldn't find a way in. It wasn't an emergency so I didn't call 911.

This week apparently the building manager came and said there was some property damage. I was told the floor below me had their AC damaged and their window in turn needed repair too. But on top of that, he's trying to say that one of the generator-looking things on the ground floor was damaged, and this might end up being a couple of thousand dollars (according to him).

I'm going to try to take some pictures of the scene but I am not really sure what's my best action to take. Should I talk to a lawyer and see what he thinks of the local laws? I'm fairly certain it did not fall on any thing on the ground floor, as when I saw it the night it happened it was clearly on the ground far away from anything else. Do I have other options here?
Last edited by immakiku on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immakiku

Postby immakiku » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

What I'm mostly concerned about is the generator looking things (with fans and whatnot - does anyone know what those are?). The tenants' property below me I'll definitely pay for.
immakiku

Postby immakiku » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 pm

By the way I searched housing court "damage" and "conditioner". The former I'm still reading through to find something relevant, but the latter wasn't very useful.
immakiku

Postby Jeffnet » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:17 am

It sounds like the equipment in the courtyard/shaft/whatever is an Air-Cooled Condensing Unit (ACCU). It is what it sounds like it is - an air conditioning system for a space within your building. Of course, I'm just going on description here.

Personally, I would not install or remove an AC unit myself. Last time I did it, I hired someone from craigslist for $50. Well worth it.

Looks like you should get some legal advice. Your AC unit could have hit something and then flew 10 feet in the other direction, and may have rolled. That's why it might not be where you say the other damaged equipment is.

Definitely try to take pictures.

By the way, what floor are you on?

Good luck with this. I'd be interested to know how it turns out. I'm surprised these kinds of things don't happen more often!
Jeffnet

Return to Housing Court - NYC