TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Didn't Get It Yet

Rent stabilzed lease renewals and how to apply Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) percentage increases

Moderator: TenantNet

Didn't Get It Yet

Postby Mitzie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:23 am

Current lease ends the end of this month. Have received no renewal forms. Sent an e-mail to management company as well as certified letter (RRR), stating I have not received the forms, it as well past the 90-120 days prior to the expiration of the lease, and I plan on continuing to pay the same rent until renewal forms are received and signed etc (I said all this nice and polite, I think).
Too much? Should I have said nothing and kept paying the same rent? I know it's not uncommon for landlords to be late with renewals but I'm deathly afraid of the beginning of some kind of shenanigans that could wind up in a costly court battle.
Mitzie

Re: Didn't Get It Yet

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:36 am

You did all the right things (perhaps too much), assuming you kept copies of everything.

Remember that once you receive the lease offer, follow the directions explicitly on the back of the RTP-8 form. Your new renewal date will have been extended according to the instructions.

Remember, it's the LL's obligation to send the renewals to you. It is not your obligation to remind him. If he doesn't give you a lease renewal offer, then the rent stays the same. Why prompt him to do something that might increase your rent?

If you're really paranoid, you could also file with DHCR, but that's overkill at this point in our opinion, especially as all they can do is freeze the rents, and the RGB has zero increase this year. So what's the point?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Mitzie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Would have made sense to wait and just keep paying the same rent, but it's the sense of being "in limbo" (even though legally I'm not) that caused me to act.
I have very little faith the typical landlord will abide by the law, and housing court is an abysmal mess with very little relation to justice.
Mitzie

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 pm

I know there's discomfort in uncertainty, but that is something that raises the unbearability for seniors mostly. For the rest of us, while we want our i's dotted, that the LL's laziness can allow your rent increase to wallow, that should be sufficient to let the dogshit mellow a while longer.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Lease renewals RGB