TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Controlled Apartment

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Controlled Apartment

Postby rhona1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm

My parents rented an apartment in 1954 and I was born in said apartment and never left. My father lived there until his death in janaury 2000 The landlord does not make repairs and had violations on the books. There was no increase granted to the landlord until last year even though he did not correct violations until late June, July, August. The rent weas raised as of Janaury 2014 and included a Cumulative Fuel Cost Adjustment (1980 and 1981-2013). I have given the landlord two Fuel cost Adjustments -- in 2004 and 2014. My father was on the original lease as Tenant and had SCRIE at time of his death. Can the landlord get a Cumualtive Fuel Cost Adjustment out of me even though my father always paid the rent under his name. I filed a PAR last May and still have heard nothing.

Does DHCR still consider hardships? I work as a temp and the MBR and Cumulative have cause me to give up some meds that I take. This year a MCR and Cumualtive Fuel Cost adjustment added. My hours hours were cut to 21 per week. I can't afford these increases.

Is there any help fo me withr egard to this issue?
rhona1

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments