TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

going month-to-month in an RS apartment

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

going month-to-month in an RS apartment

Postby eb3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm an original lease holder in an RS apartment for ten years and I've just received my lease renewal form. I would like to go month to month if that's possible as I am considering moving and am under the impression m2m would allow me some flexibility. Am I correct to think that m2m will let me take some time in finding another apartment without having to break the current lease when I do?

I've read through the forums regarding m2m but I'm still somewhat confused. What do I need to know or be careful of if I approach my building's management about this. Is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks for any responses.
eb3

Re: going month-to-month in an RS apartment

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:00 pm

RS tenants can't become M2M tenants. M2M are unregulated tenants without leases. What you can do is sign a one-year lease and ask the LL to let you out of the remaining months when you are ready to move.

Any sane LL would be OK with this as it lets them get a new tenant with a hefty increase in rent. Just make sure you get a signed release from the LL before you move, else they might come after you for the remaining months of the lease.

Other options include assigning the lease or even subletting, although the latter can get sticky.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments