TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Bill

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Bill

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm a longtime tenant in a Rent Stabilized apartment. Each month, as long as I've been here, the super has slipped the rent bill and a pre-addressed envelope under the door. He's not always on time. Sometime it arrives during the third week of the month. Other times it arrives several days after the rent is due. Regardless of when the bill arrives the management company still expects to receive rent on time so I normally send an electronic payment whether I've received the bill or not.

This month when I didn't receive a bill by the third of the month I asked the super what had happened. He said the management company decided to email rent bills to tenants. It's now the 6th of the month and I still haven't received a bill. Yes I've double checked my junkmail folder on both my computer and the mail server.

So my question is whether a landlord is required to send a rent bill or some kind of account of money due on a monthly basis? Is email an acceptable alternative to regular mail? While I can copy the amount from my lease I'd like to be able to double check the details before I send payment. Last year he changed the payment address without notice.

Cranky
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Re: Rent Bill

Postby TenantNet » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Sounds like my LL.

LLs are not required to send rent bills, unless it's in the lease. They are required to provide receipts for payment though.

I don't see why email couldn't be used. Have you asked the LL directly what is happening? You can't be serious if you think the super knows everything.

I'm sure you know that not getting a bill is not an excuse for not paying the rent.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Rent Bill

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for such a quick response.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments