TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Bad windows

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Bad windows

Postby lescerqueux » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 am

When the current management/ownership took over my building about 15 years ago, they installed new windows...which we individually had to pay an increase in our rent.
For the past 3 years, the window seals are broken (double paned glass) and during the winters I have icecicles inside the windows from the condensation....which causes the surrounding wood to rot, and makes my apartment very cold.
I have had the HPD inspector here (after notifying the management many times by phone and in writing and in person) and the inspector says he couldn't file the type of complaint I needed because it doesn't fall in any "window complaint category" !!!! What can I do? Who else can I contact? Thanks for all/any suggestions.
lescerqueux

Re: Bad windows

Postby TenantNet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:55 pm

When you say you had to pay for the new windows (assuming you are RS), under what mechanism did this occur? A building-wide MCI, or did you agree to the IAI? Were all the windows in the building replaced? Did the LL get DHCR's permission to increase the rent? Many tenants don't know their rights and just do what the LL tells them to do, even if it isn't legal.

The HPD inspector is lying to you. They tried that with me recently (although not on windows, but a broken stove). Of course they can put violations on windows. But you may need to contact the higher-ups at HDP enforcement. Did you file a HP case against the LL?

If in Manhattan I would start with HPD Enforcement. Speak to a supervisor. And in the future get the name and badge number of the inspectors that show up.

94 Old Broadway (7th Floor)
New York, NY 10027
(212) 234-2541

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/about/boro ... nters.page
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Bad windows

Postby lescerqueux » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:35 am

Thank you so much for your suggestions and comments.
Yes, I am an RS tenant.
I did find a notification of an MCI request dated 1999 in my files, but didn't find any approval documentation.
Also, I have filed many complaints with HPD.. and inspectors do show up...they just haven't been helpful on this particular issue. I will get the name and badge# next time (thank you).
Is HPD Enforcement at the address and phone noted here? Once again, thank you so very much.
lescerqueux

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments