TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Fishy IAI Improvements to Bring Apartment out of Stabilizati

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Fishy IAI Improvements to Bring Apartment out of Stabilizati

Postby Sp3ctat0r » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am

Building is 6 units. Previous rent fell just under $1,800, with the change in tenant and the addition of the IAI improvements to the bathroom the total rent comes to just over $2,500 by a few dollars. The bathroom is nothing special, new sink/toilet/tub, the window is still the old type. Not sure if any wiring work was done, but the total IAI just for the bathroom exceeded $15,000. Does anyone have experience with shady IAI numbers to bring a unit just out of stabilization?
Sp3ctat0r

Re: Fishy IAI Improvements to Bring Apartment out of Stabili

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:22 pm

The thing to do is to challenge the improvements with DHCR. Of course if you lose the LL could then decide to not renew your lease (but not while the case is pending or on appeal).

But first question is, when did this take place? When did the old tenant leave and when did you move in? Both dates might be important as the law recently changed, and there is a court case pending that might change the way this is done for all tenants, even retroactively. Look at the Altman case.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Sp3ctat0r » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:33 pm

TenantNet wrote:The thing to do is to challenge the improvements with DHCR. Of course if you lose the LL could then decide to not renew your lease (but not while the case is pending or on appeal).

But first question is, when did this take place? When did the old tenant leave and when did you move in? Both dates might be important as the law recently changed, and there is a court case pending that might change the way this is done for all tenants, even retroactively. Look at the Altman case.

I moved in February of 2015, knowing almost nothing about rent stabilization laws. The old tenant left toward the end of 2014, I am not 100% sure as I do not have the rental history in front of me.

Thanks for the info about the Altman case, I will do some more research.
Sp3ctat0r

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:50 pm

I asked because in July 2015 the law changed to $2700 for deregulation. When you moved in, the law was $2500. However, if Altman wins on appeal, that would be retroactive for you. But it might take many months before we know the final verdict on Altman.

In the meantime you can consider filing a challenge with DHCR. Do your research first to see what exactly was done and how much it should have cost. See if other apartments in the building had similar IAI's and how much the LL charged for each of those. I have a feeling he added on just enough to get above the threshhold.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Sp3ctat0r » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:59 pm

TenantNet wrote:I asked because in July 2015 the law changed to $2700 for deregulation. When you moved in, the law was $2500. However, if Altman wins on appeal, that would be retroactive for you. But it might take many months before we know the final verdict on Altman.

In the meantime you can consider filing a challenge with DHCR. Do your research first to see what exactly was done and how much it should have cost. See if other apartments in the building had similar IAI's and how much the LL charged for each of those. I have a feeling he added on just enough to get above the threshhold.

I just missed the July law by a few months, poor timing on my part! My lease is up for renewal in February, and it seems like the Altman decision won't come down until after Feb.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll start bothering my neighbors and make a trip to the Brooklyn DHCR.
Sp3ctat0r

Postby 10ants » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am

15k for a new bathroom isn't out of line; figure $300 for IAI, and $360 for vacancy gets it over the limit; this doesn't sound particularly fraudulent per se.
10ants

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments