TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Warped Floor Question

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Warped Floor Question

Postby WarpedFloor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 pm

This is a new account for anonymity reasons.

I got home from work today and noticed my living room rug looked like there were waves under it, I peeled it back and noticed serious warping on my floor to the point where a couple rows of floorboards are at a 45° angle. There's a little water underneath them and my rug is soaked in places (small puddles, and if I put pressure on floor boards it seeps through, but not like any measurable depth).

I immediately turned my wall-sleeve AC unit off, suspecting it as the cause.

But I wanted to post here before taking next steps because I don't know the liability here, and definitely don't want my rent increased or worse happening because of this.

I have renters insurance, stabilized unit I have been in the unit for 7+ years, and have never had any serious maintenance issues, don't even have my unit repainted etc. Don't have a great relationship with super / management company due to them neglecting some major building issues earlier this year and a number of years back, but it never got to rent withholding or litigation.

My concern is that I own the AC unit. I believe a building mandated contractor installed the unit back when I moved in, but I bought it, and if it breaks I have to get myself a new one.

So, is my first call to my super? Should I treat it as an emergency? Or just mop up as much water as I can and call in the AM? I'm taking pictures, but also wanted to wait for daylight for better view, and do I involve my renters insurance company?

Who is responsible for paying for the replacement, etc... Is there any chance this is evictable negligence? If they replace it, can they increase my rent by 1/40th of the replacement cost?

I generally leave my AC on whenever I'm in town (so probably a couple weeks its been on straight) and it looks like this was a tipping point and could've been a problem for a bit. I just don't walk over there much, so have no reason to notice, and the unit's been otherwise fine for years.

Also, the flooring is typical cheap stuff with what looks like a liner underneath separating it from the concrete floor slab— if they have to replace it (probably a good 10x10 section at least) and they're going to hit my insurance for the cost, I might as well spring for something nicer like dark cherry.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I read a posting about someone's floor AC, but that's in a sublet where the tenant wast present. I'm obviously not going to admit it was the AC, but...
WarpedFloor

Re: Warped Floor Question

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 pm

I would wait as long as it's not an emergency. Try to ascertain what really caused it to happen. AC's - the type you typically see in windows - usually don't generate that much water. And IMHO not enough to warp the floorboards to the degree you describe. It also takes time to warp floorboards.

Look for other possible causes. Not only are you potentially dealing with liability for the AC unit itself, but the floorboards, the cost to repair and possibly other things if the water leaked to the unit below. It can add up. So first, do not admit to anyone that your AC did this.

The LL will likely try to avoid responsibility, and they will likely try to blame you.

As for IAI, this is not an IAI as you own the AC. That does not apply. But repair costs might. Do not tell the LL about your insurance.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments