TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rental history missing for 8 (Eight!) years!?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rental history missing for 8 (Eight!) years!?

Postby EiffelHammer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello everyone who is reading this right now! For myself and some of you, today's date is June 29, 2016.

Recently, I started questioning my rent. I've had unrelated issues with my landlord in the past and was suspicious. So, I, like a lot of you requested my rent history via DHCR. In 3 days, I got my rent history. I found that my unit was legal regulated rent from the 80's to 2008. In 07-08 the report reads legal regulated rent $2000.00 with actual rent paid at $1486.00 with the reason: prefer rent. Then from (the rest of) 2008 to 2015, the report reads: *REG NOT FOUND FOR SUBJECT PREMISES*

My lease is from 2015-16. I was paying $3,375.00. My land lord wants to raise to $3,600.00

Now, I think I'm being overcharged, however, I'm not sure where to begin to prove this. Should my rent actually be $2,000? I don't want to approach my landlord and ask for the missing rent history. I've heard the DHCR takes years and isn't worth the hassle.

My question is, where to next? How can I find the 8 year missing rent history? Should I seek a lawyer? Should I leave NYC and live in the woods? Should I start drinking heavily?

All help appreciated! Thanks!
EiffelHammer

Re: Rental history missing for 8 (Eight!) years!?

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Up until 2011, the trigger rent level for deregulation was $2,000. From what you say above, the registration indicates a legal rent of $2,000 in 2007. So that explains why there is no more rent history or registration. If true, then you are not regulated and the LL can raise the rent to what he wants.

You don't say when you moved in and there are other questions as to events that might have occurred since then. While there is a 4-year limit to file overcharges, that does not apply to rent stab status. And there are cases like Grimm and Altman that might apply.

I would suggest getting a consultation with a good tenant attorney who knows how to get into this stuff. Not the guy with a small office over the deli, but an atty that concentrates on this stuff.

Drinking might help.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments