TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Succession rights -that allows child living alone

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Succession rights -that allows child living alone

Postby Melanie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Hello everyone,

How old do children have to be in order to get succession rights so that they allowed to live alone in the apartment.

I have been living in a rent stabilized apartment with my son for the last ten yrs. My son is not on my lease at this time.
Does it make sense to add him? And if so, how do I do that? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? He is now seventeen.
He stays with my husband in a different part of town for two to three months a year. And has no state issued ID , will this be a problem? All his mail from school comes to my apartment.

THank you
Melanie

Re: Succession rights -that allows child living alone

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:35 pm

One does not have to be on a lease in order to assert succession rights. The process can be complicated and it's always good to consult with a tenant attorney who has experience in this area. I would start here: http://www.nyshcr.org/rent/factsheets/orafac30.pdf

... and pay attention to the notice to the owner.

As for the age, I don't think there is an age, but NYC might have minimum age requirement to live alone in an apartment. If he's 17, what are you worried about? He'll be 18 soon and that will be a moot issue.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments