TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Drop Ceiling in RS Apartment Legal?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Drop Ceiling in RS Apartment Legal?

Postby brooklynstabilized » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 am

So a few months ago we asked the Landlord to fix a hole in the bathroom ceiling that's been there for a few years from multiple leaks. It looks like there might be some black mold as well. He tells us he's going to tear down the ceiling and put a new one up. Fine. He comes in with his son, and instead of tearing down or fixing the hole he just covers it up with a drop ceiling. More than a few people told me that it's illegal. There is no sprinkler head or anything and the light fixture is hanging. Should I report this as an emergency problem in order to get the Building Inspector here to check this out and issue summonses? We never bothered the Landlord because he was older and never bothered us, but his son has been harassing us and other tenants in the building that are rent stabilized because he wants us out so that he can charge more rent to new renters. Thanks.
brooklynstabilized

Re: Drop Ceiling in RS Apartment Legal?

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:33 am

Before anything more happens, start documenting the condition and events. Take many photos of the condition and try to get a few people to see it in case you need to verify the condition exists.

Also document every communication with the LL or his agents. If you have a smartphone you can record conversations without them knowing about it -- in NYS one person consent is all that's needed.

I have heard that drop (or "suspended") ceilings are illegal in NYC apartments, but I don't have a citation for that. I googled it and there's a lot of discussion on the subject.

But the problem here is that the LL is not repairing the root cause and just covering things up. That's illegal. There is an "underlying conditions" law. See http://goo.gl/KfP8nS for one article. But you may need to apply a lot of pressure to get HPD to do something about it. I would keep complaining.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby brooklynstabilized » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks dude. I do have pictures. I think I'm going to fill out an emergency complaint about the mold, and i know a contractor that lives in my building he told me it's def illegal especially the way they hung the light. I'll keep you informed.
brooklynstabilized

Postby SlopeGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:46 am

TenantNet wrote:I have heard that drop (or "suspended") ceilings are illegal in NYC apartments, but I don't have a citation for that. I googled it and there's a lot of discussion on the subject.

But the problem here is that the LL is not repairing the root cause and just covering things up. That's illegal. There is an "underlying conditions" law. See http://goo.gl/KfP8nS for one article. But you may need to apply a lot of pressure to get HPD to do something about it. I would keep complaining.
This is an interesting question considering my apartment. My apt. was "refurbished" prior to my current LL buying the building. They installed drop ceilings and drop walls as well. In the years living here I have developed arthritic pains that I've never had before and I wonder if there may be a black mold condition that I can't see, behind the drop walls/drop ceiling.

Is there anything I can do to put pressure on my current LL or will he try to excuse himself by saying that the unit was refurbished prior to his purchase of the building and therefore he bears no responsibility?
SlopeGuy

Postby TenantNet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 am

I have no idea what drop walls are. But for both see if they are legal. Investigate the mold issue to see if it really exists and I'd consult a doctor to see if it can cause arthritis.

If illegal you can have violations placed. That he is a new LL has no bearing on things.

TenantNet

Postby SlopeGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:58 am

Drop walls - The prior LL installed 1970's style wood paneling in front of the original plaster/masoned walls of the apartment.
SlopeGuy

Postby TenantNet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 am

I don't see how that would be illegal.

TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments