TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL wants Social Security Numbers

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

LL wants Social Security Numbers

Postby Cylon452 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:20 am

Hi all

The previous LL didn't ask for a social Security numbers ( SS# )to open an account with a bank for me and the tenants 12 years ago. Now the building is sold to an LLC. The new owners who made offers for us to leave refused. say they want to transfer out existing accounts ( i think security deposts )to another bank of their choosing and want our SS#.

This is an 8 unit building in downtown Gentrified Brooklyn. This is why i do not trust the LL and his company. 4 Units are Rent stabilized the other 4 are free market going between 3,200 to 4,000 per month. We RS units don't pay even 1/2 or 2/3rds of that.

A few Questions.

1. Do i need the name of the bank they want to use ?
2. If the bank needs the SS# can i goto the bank and give it to them instead of the LL ?
3. Can i get a statement from the bank where the security deposit is held ?
4. i expect shenanigans or an attempt of foul play.

I was a victim of identity thief and went thru hell to clear that up.
Since they have my name and address giving them my SS# can open me up identity thief again, any advice ?
Cylon452

Re: LL wants Social Secrutiy Numbers

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 am

You're rent regulated - and assuming that is not disputed.

There's no requirement that you give the LL - even a new LL - any additional information beyond what was given to them when you rented the apartment. I'd be surprised though if the initial apartment lease application didn't ask for your SS#. Most do and chances are the LL already has that information.

But if not, I would not give it to them again. SS# in the wrong hands are great for identify theft. Always be careful where you give private information (including internet forums like here).

For general security deposit rules, I would go here: http://tenant.net/Rights/CTRC/ctrcf006.html The document is a bit old but the rules are essentially the same.

See this thread:
http://www.tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5881

And here:
http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2004/2004_50797.htm
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: LL wants Social Secrutiy Numbers

Postby rentstubq » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Is your landlord Newcastle? :)

Do not give out SSN's. Not just for identity theft issues but also because the landlord might do a credit check on you without permission
rentstubq

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments