TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

old fuse box and circuit breaker box

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

old fuse box and circuit breaker box

Postby Val629 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20 pm

I live in a prewar apt and my fuses are constantly blowing. If its not the AC its the toaster oven or the iron. Some of my neigtbors have had their old fuse boxes replaced with new circuit breaker boxes. Is he mandated by law to replace my old fuse box if I keep having trouble with my fuse box? I go thru 8 fuses a week and its becoming costly. This has been ongoing for some years now and i have complained to 311 and they say they cannot force my landlord to change my box. What options do I have?
Val629

Re: old fuse box and circuit breaker box

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Generally LLs are not mandated to upgrade, but if they do, then it has to be in accordance with the Building and Electrical codes. And if they stay with the old wiring, it must be kept in good repair.

Understand that an old system that is limited in amperage capacity might be in good repair. But these days power usage is much higher than 50+ years ago. So it makes sense to upgrade - and not just the fuse box but the main lines leading to the apartment and the wiring in the walls of the apartment.

Problem is that's a major job and inconvenience. And expensive. Depending on how it's done the LL will likely be able to raise your rent as well.

I can sympathize. I lived with a 15 amp fuse for many years. You have to be careful if you run one appliance to turn off all the others.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby rentstubq » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Our LL replaced our fuse box with breakers (granted, after we called the fire dept for smoke condition). Our whole apartment was on a single circuit. They added a new circuit for the fridge and that helped a lot. I don't believe that glass fuses are up to code...
rentstubq

Postby TenantNet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Most upgrades will involve circuit breakers, not fuses (although I can't say if fuses are prohibited in any upgrades). But when they put in a breaker box, they generally do have to put in new lines (risers) to the basement that can carry the increased amperage and new entry boxes to the building.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments