TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Wife Apartment Entry Question

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Wife Apartment Entry Question

Postby brooklynstabilized » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I had to let my Landlords wife into my apartment, or under the law do I only have to allow him into the apartment. We're having an inspector from housing come inspect work that was done. The issue is that last time she came in with the landlord, she was seen taking pictures of my room with her phone. She's not a good person, and is the one behind most of the harassment that the tenants have been receiving. I've read some things online that by law I only have to let the Landlord into my apartment. He bought the building before he married her if that helps. Please advise. Thanks so much.
brooklynstabilized

Re: Landlord Wife Apartment Entry Question

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:23 pm

First, no one - not even the LL - should be taking pictures unless ordered by the court. Just say no to this.

As to the LL's wife, is she an active part of the bldg management? Or are all your dealings with the LL and not her? You imply the latter.

In general you have no obligation to let either the LL or his wife in at the time of an inspection, unless the inspector request it. Even then the LL's role is just to watch. You can also limit the number of people allowed in at any given time.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby brooklynstabilized » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks so much. Who knows with these people. First his dad was the landlord and never bothered us. Then his dad "sold" the building to him for $10.00. He then didn't tell anyone about this sale, and posted a notice in the hallway that said the building had been sold to an LLC (One he created but didn't tell any tenants). The first time the inspector came they said the Landlord would be allowed to watch the inspection. She weaseled her way in since my Mom was home, and i wasn't home yet. My mom told me she seen her sneakily taking pictures with her phone while my Mom was speaking to the Landlord and Inspector. At this point she wasn't even his wife yet, she was his girlfriend. They just got married about 2 weeks ago and i can see she's trying to be controlling. The thing is when his father was landlord, his mother never bothered to come in at all or bother us. This girl was already trying to take control before she was his wife. I think I'm gonna tell her she can't come in and that only the landlord and inspector can come in. I'll tell her to have a judge make that decision to let her in. Should I do this? Thanks.
brooklynstabilized

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

In larger buildings, LLs can designate employees such as a Managing Agent. But for a small LL, usually it's just them. Look at the HPD registration or the ACRIS (DOF) deed database to see who is listed as the owner.

I know inspectors sometimes say the LL can be there, but I think that's just custom rather than actual regulation or a law.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments