TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord attempting to gain entry to my apartment

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord attempting to gain entry to my apartment

Postby Wolverine » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:30 pm

For the last few weeks, the landlord keeps sending workers to my apartment to gain entry under the guise of making repairs. No repairs are needed or requested, so there is some other motive in play, presumably not to my benefit. They tried entering when I didn't answer, assuming I wasn't home, and I had to block the door. I was undressed at the time and felt very uncomfortable. He's doing it to some other units as well, and appears to be targeting only the SRO tenants.

He sent a letter asking me to schedule a time for them to get access. I have not allowed entry and told building management multiple times to stop, but almost every day a worker continues to knock on my door. I do not want him or any of his workers in my apartment under any circumstance. This is just more harassment from this landlord. What are my options and what should I do to make it stop?
Wolverine

Re: Landlord attempting to gain entry to my apartment

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Read the access rules in the forum reference section. LL's must give written advance notice and clearly describe the reason for requesting access. If just for an inspection, you can enforce a policy of no picture taking.

How did they "try to enter?" Does the LL have a key? I would change the lock.

Given what you describe I would file a complaint with the police and maybe even harassment charges.

If he did send a letter, just because you haven't responded does not give him the right to just walk in. His remedy is to seek access in a court proceeding (the court will probably allow access).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Wolverine » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response. In this case, the landlord first tried to gain entry before sending the letter. And yes they tried to enter with a key. His reasons given the letter were different than the reasons the workers gave. It makes no sense. It's also not an inspection, and I am not sure what is the real motive behind it. He is also running an illegal hotel so it may be related to that.
Wolverine

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Can you detail what you mean by "illegal hotel?"

TenantNet

Postby Wolverine » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Regarding illegal hotel, the landlord has converted many of the SRO rent stabilized units into hotel rooms after evicting many of those tenants. These rooms are advertised on travel sites through third party agencies which have offices on the main floor of the building. The challenge is that the building is a class B dwelling, not a class A dwelling. So any 311 reports for illegal hotel seem to be ignored for the most part. But even though it is class B, it would seem he has broken several laws to get to this point and may not be paying the appropriate taxes either. There are also numerous safety issues and other problems, such as the fact that these hotel guests are using the shared bathrooms. Men are constantly in the women's bathroom. People are having sex in the showers. It's absolutely disgusting.
Wolverine

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Have you been in touch with the West Side SRO Law Project?
https://www.goddard.org/grcc/programs/g ... awproject/

TenantNet

Postby Wolverine » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Yes I have been in touch with them in the past. Thanks.
Wolverine

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments