TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Guests / Significant Others in my Apartment

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Guests / Significant Others in my Apartment

Postby RC5000 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 pm

I live in a rent-stabilized apartment in NYC. I have some people living with me. They do not pay rent. They are welcome in my apartment. We are in a relationship.

The super does not like them; he's been here about 2 years. (I've been here over 30 years). He is not well liked. He especially does not like one of my guests. I'm not sure why as he is quiet and reserved. So yesterday, he instituted a new procedure: all "guests" have to sign in and sign out. My friend is pretty convinced this is aimed solely at him. In fact last night the super came to my apartment to explicitly tell me they (and esp that guests) has to sign in and out.

I told them to comply as the super watched the cameras in the lobby and if the doormen let them go in and out without signing, they will get in trouble. The super has already tried to have one very well liked doorman fired.

Other tenants have had screaming fights with the super, including my next door neighbor.

So my question is: Is this "rule" something the super can on his own enforce? And can he enforce it selectively?

Thanks.

RC
RC5000

Re: Guests / Significant Others in my Apartment

Postby dzdz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 pm

You don't say in your post exactly how many people living in your apartment.

If you are the only person on the lease then at least one other occupant could be considered a roommate.

The DHCR has some information about roommates on their website:
http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/faqs.htm#ol18
dzdz

Postby RC5000 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:19 pm

There are two others. But neither of them pay rent. I am the only one on the lease. So that being the case, one of the other two could be an occupant also and the other a guest?

But what about this sudden "rule" by the super?
RC5000

Postby TenantNet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm

First, you say it's the super's rule, not the LL's rule. So that's one reason to ignore it. Second, you say they are living there, not just occasional guests. You are allowed to have a roommate no questions asked. The LL can't ask the nature of the relationship; it's not his business.

This has been covered many times on this site and in this forum - you can search for previous discussions. Also see http://tenant.net/Rights/roommates.html. There are limits as to the number of roommates though, so it might depend on how many roommates, if they are related to the you or the first roommate and how many rooms are in the unit. I don't think their not paying rent matters in this context.

As for occasional guests who are not living there, you can have those as well, although some buildings can institute reasonable check-in procedures as long as they apply to everyone. If there's a doorman, then having them sign-in or calling up to the tenant might be reasonable as long as it applies to all tenants. This is usually for security reasons.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby RC5000 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

RC
RC5000

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments