TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Access to rear yard past Boiler room

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Access to rear yard past Boiler room

Postby Cylon452 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:18 am

I have a unique situation. In the basement the LL installed a new boiler and he added a lock on the boiler room door. In order to get to the rear yard you have to go thru the boiler room.

Here is my question. Is this legal having a lock on the boiler room door which leads to the rear yard of the building ?

I need from time to time to have to have access to the rear yard so Verizon can fix my phone line and DSL which goes out at least 2 to 3 times per year.

If i remember correctly you need two means of exit from the basement now that the LL has added a washer and dryer in said basement. The only way out is one staircase leading to the first floor. What happens if that staircase leading to the first floor is on fire. One would be trapped because there is a lock on the boiler room which leads to the rear yard.

I found this from the Department of buildings about boiler rooms and it say nothing about locking the boiler room door:
http://www.absolutemechanicalcoinc.com/ ... ldings-nyc

As of right now my phone line isn't working and Verizon can't get to the rear yard. Verizon came yesterday. I have medical conditions and i need this land line phone ( copper line ) to work. I need to call 911 just in case of my condition.

Should i contact the Department of building? Any help and guidance will be appreciated.
Cylon452

Re: Access to rear yard past Boiler room

Postby TenantNet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:55 pm

You're rent stab, yes?

Have you used the rear yard for recreation or for any other purpose than giving access to Verizon?

Is there a super or LL employee on premises, or close by? I have seen signs on locked boiler rooms (not uncommon) that they key may be located with the super and give his on-premises location.

I do not know if having 2 means of egress applies to a basement. Have you asked DOB about this?

You can file a complaint with DHCR, but don't expect a lot. OTOH, I don't know if going to Housing Court on this (i.e.,e if you withhold rent) will get you very far. You might get an agreement from the LL on how Verizon can get access.

In my view, it's the same as the LL preventing you from having a landline. But DHCR or the courts might not see it that way.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments