TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

complying with NYC landlord key rules

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

complying with NYC landlord key rules

Postby nmayweather » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 pm

A few years ago a super changed the lock, but lost the key.

The landlord now wants a copy of the key, because they need to do repairs and "in case of emergency".

We don't trust the landlord/super to have a key though. They've gone into neighbors' apartments often with no prior (or after) notice, sometimes for approved repairs (you'll know a repair is coming, but not the day or time -- and not any proper notice under nyc laws) but other times for barely a reason ("Oh we wanted to change the smoke detector battery". "oh we wanted to see how old the fridge was"). They also use random people for repairs, and we have serious concerns about theft.

Obviously we need to comply with the law and give a key. I've read about the "keysure" box, but there doesn't seem to be any way to know if the landlord went into the apartment without asking to see the box. Short of giving them the key and getting an internet alarm/camera set up on the door – are there any options?
nmayweather

Re: complying with NYC landlord key rules

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:37 pm

The law does allow the LL to demand a key, but tenants should be wary of what might happen. There are a number of strategies to deal with this.

1. Get a nanny cam. If there is unpermitted access, I would call the police and file a trespass complaint. The key is for emergency purposes only. I would tell that to the LL in writing. If they want access for repairs or inspection, demand they make an appointment when you are there.

2. You can change the locks after you give them a key, or put on a second lock. We can't say if this is legal, but I know many tenants do this to discourage supers with sticky fingers. (it would not be legal in the sense that it's against the law ... it's not. But it might give the LL cause to commence a holdover proceeding for violating the lease).

3. I would keep money, jewelry, etc. in a residential safe. Good ones cost around $200.

4. Consider Renters' insurance, and catalog all your possessions.

5. Make sure computers and other devices have solid passwords.

See the discussion on access rules in the forum's reference section. There are two threads on access rules.

The Keysure box is not a foolproof method, but consider it as one of several strategies to consider.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: complying with NYC landlord key rules

Postby nmayweather » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you! I'll look up the "access rules" stuff.

Right now the plan is to try and leave the keysure box with a neighbor who handles some work for the landlord (he handles the trash, lets workers in when the super can't make it, etc).

We're looking at getting the Nest or Canary cameras – they detect motion and will stream/save video that you can view from the office. If there is un-permitted access, we will call 911 immediately.
nmayweather

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments