TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Upcoming MCI

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Upcoming MCI

Postby biggerthanprince » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello,

I live in a rent stabilized unit and there are many in my building. My landlord is about to start with some major building wide MCI; with such improvements as new windows, boiler, elevator. I've started to read up as much as I can about MCI on here and elsewhere.

I'm wondering what we should be keeping an eye on ? How do we get a sense of what those costs will be and how to challenge the cost if something seems fishy. Can anyone offer their experience with this?

I want to make sure that landlord knows we are paying attention and that they won't be able to sneak things in. My landlord has a history of doing such things. They've also not be very communicative about dates of installs/demo work or impact on tenants.

Thanks!
biggerthanprince

Re: Upcoming MCI

Postby TenantNet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:50 pm

That calls for a book. How bout some more specific questions.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby biggerthanprince » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Ah yes thank you for asking me to be more specific. Ok here are 2 questions:

When an owner submits an MCI application, the DHCR notifies the tenants and gives them an
opportunity to submit written responses to the application. When should be expect this letter?

What worries me is we will not receive the a letter from the DHCR regarding the MCI. In fact I haven't received anything from the DHCR ever. The landlord has changed our apartment numbers with the DHCR to our account numbers on our monthly rent statement. I know this because when I was gathering my rent history I had them search under the listed address and with standard apartment number and then with the account number. So, for example: apartment #30 (standard) and apartment #305NBD863A (account number)... please note this is not my real info. So, I have two rent histories for the apartment... the DHCR clerk thought this was odd, but left it at that.

Should I contact the DHCR for the MCI letter?

Cheers!
biggerthanprince

Postby TenantNet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Last I checked LLs have 2 years to apply for the MCI after all work is done.

When you get the notice, first thing is to a) get an extension of time to respond, and b) submit a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request. Get copies of all documents from the FOIL review. That will give you some more time.

If you have many tenants, then someone will get the notice. LLs are required to submit a list to DHCR of all RC/RS tenant in the building.

But if you're ahead in the game, then it's time to a) organize a tenants association, b) seek legal help if you can afford it, and c) look into the history of all units as well as the building's components, i.e., boiler, elevator, etc. Get to know the DOB Building Info System (BIS)

Have you never received a DHCR registration?

Curious ... who is your LL? And what is the address of the premises? You can respond using Private Mail - use the "PM" button.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments