TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

How many FOB keys am I entitled to for front door?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

How many FOB keys am I entitled to for front door?

Postby lipglossstain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Hello! My rent stabilized building recently added FOB keys for the front door and I have only been given one. I am the only person on my lease, but when I first moved in I was given 2 front door keys, long before the FOB key was issued. I've been told by my landlord that no additional keys will be issued unless there is an additional person on the lease, no exceptions, and that if I ever require a key for a guest I have to sign one out and return it. Is this legal? Am I entitled to an extra key (that I'd be happy to pay for) because my original lease included two front door keys? In every previous case when the locks have been changed I've been issued two keys, so this is definitely a change, even though my lease doesn't explicitly say that I am given two keys. Thanks in advance for any insight!
lipglossstain

Re: How many FOB keys am I entitled to for front door?

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Time's tight today, but I just uploaded a number of decisions on this issue. I have not read them, but they should help you understand the issue, your rights and possible courses of action, including what issues to press when dealing with the LL.

http://tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12377

Let us know if this helps.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lipglossstain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you SO much for this quick reply! I will read though everything -- really appreciate it!
lipglossstain

Postby lipglossstain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 am

Thank you again for sharing the decisions on this, I read through them. They *mostly* make sense to me, but I'm still a bit confused about what specifically to direct my LL to when I say that I'm legally entitled to two keys. It seems like the reduction of services argument (that I used to get two keys when locks were changed, now I'm only given one) may not be applicable. When/if you have a chance, would you mind helping me to further investigate? Or perhaps pointing me to another resource that might be clearer for a lay person such as myself? Thank you again!
lipglossstain

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments