TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

RS Apartment over $2700

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

RS Apartment over $2700

Postby thumbdex » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 am

Hi,

I just wanted some clarification on the rent de-stabilization. We are 5 people with 2 guarantors (with the annual income around $240k altogether, or under $20k without the guarantors), for an apartment advertised as rent stabilized at a bit over $3000/month. All 7 people will be signing the lease. The broker has assured me that the apartment is indeed rent stabilized. According to him, the previous tenant moved out around 6 months ago (no idea how long they've been there), and the apartment has undergone a complete gut renovation (which I assume means a high IAI rent addition). It's an old building (not new development or coop/condo conversion), but the apartment does look renovated.

From what I understand, apartments can be de-stabilized once it surpasses $2700 and/or if the annual income is over $200k. How do we actually know that the apartment is still governed by rent stabilized rules? Or is it definitely not? I'm a bit suspicious as I wouldn't see why the landlord wouldn't destabilize the apartment if he could.

Also is there anything I should keep an eye out for? We've been approved and everything and should be able to view the lease soon.

Thanks in advance
thumbdex

Re: RS Apartment over $2700

Postby rentstubq » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Once you've moved in, request the rental history on the unit from 1984-2017 via the REC-1 form from DHCR. That should give you a lot of information about the status of this apartment.
rentstubq

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments