TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Stuck between a bathroom leak and a hard place

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Stuck between a bathroom leak and a hard place

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm

LLs do not have to "ask" for rent. They do have to serve you a "3-day Notice" before starting a case in Housing Court.

As I said, I haven't re-read everything, but your PM jogged my memory a little, re your attorney and address.

Why wait on filing a HP case? Get the repairs done. That is independent from seeking RS status or rent. What does the atty say about that?

LLs can add "improvements" to units at any time. It's often replacement appliances that have worn out. But tenants in occupancy do not have to pay for the improvements unless they consent (which no one should do). LLs can also install IAI's between tenancies and jump the rent.

Tenants should not demand new appliances (at which time I think LLs can apply the increase in rent), but should demand a "working" replacement. A while back my LL replaced the 30-year stove that had worn out. It was a refurbished model, almost as nice as a new one.

If they take you to court, they have to identify who is the LL. Look at the online HPD registration. https://hpdonline.hpdnyc.org/HPDonline/ ... dress.aspx

I'll put that in a PM. On illegal evictions, read the thread. Local precincts will play dumb, or worse take the LL side. They might also claim it's a "civil issue" which is not true.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 8864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City


Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests