TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease expiring and no response from Management??

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease expiring and no response from Management??

Postby summer2345 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:38 pm

My lease is up in 2 days, and I've been attempting to reach the management office of my building for 2 weeks and can't get anyone on the phone. I'm trying to ask them if I can stay an extra day since I'm basically clearing out a 3 bedroom on my own (everyone else left). There was extra rent on my account that could cover 5-6 days of rent, and I assumed it would save them the hassle of refunding me that money to just allow me to stay those days. The management company doesn't seem to care about anything as long as they're getting their rent. I've called dozens of times, and left many messages. The one time someone picked up, she seemed like I was annoying her and just said she'd get back to me tomorrow, presumably to get me off the phone. It has been a week and no one has called back despite my constant calls. I really just need 1 extra day since I get access to my new apartment on the 1st. Should I just stay that extra day and hand the Super the keys on the 1st after I'm done moving things to my new apartment?

I also need to ask them how the move-out process works. Do I need to be there while they inspect the apartment for damage for my security deposit? When do I get the deposit back? I already feel like they're going to give me a hard time about getting the deposit back since I can't seem to get in contact with anyone. I don't know what to do or how to get in contact with them. I would think about mailing them a letter but I don't want to cause issues because my past roommate who is on the lease sublet the apartment to me and moved out a year ago, and they don't know since I'm only listed as a "roommate" on the account so I don't feel like I have the right to be pushy with them. Any advice is appreciated!
summer2345

Re: Lease expiring and no response from Management??

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:49 pm

This should be posted as a follow-up to your previous thread. Please do so. See No. 8 in the Forum Rules.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments