TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Kitchen

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Kitchen

Postby Flipflops506 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 am

Is there a minimum requirement for a kitchen as in cabinets or counter space in a rent stabilized apt? Or can anyone point me in the direction to find this information. Thanks
Flipflops506

Re: Kitchen

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:17 am

There's no minimum.

If I can offer this... I'm sure you love your daughter, but she's renting in NYC, so I'm assuming she's an adult. Unless there are special circumstances, isn't it time to let the child go, manage her own life, learn her own lessons? If I was 18 or more, I wouldn't be asking my parents to front for me for every little problem. Seriously, I would not be asking my parent to go on the internet asking about the size of the kitchen cabinets. I presume she saw the kitchen before she decided to rent.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Flipflops506 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:42 am

yes I'm asking for my daughter. She's very young, it's her first apt and I don't have experience renting either. The apt was under 'renovation' the broker showed her a newly renovated apt as to comparison and of course there was very little done. She isn't asking me to go on the internet asking questions.
I thought this was a tenant forum?
Flipflops506

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 pm

You aren't the tenant.

TenantNet

Postby Flipflops506 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Well considering the fact that I could have said I was the tenant but instead I'm asking for a tenant I guess I don't get it. I thought they were legitimate questions and this looked like a great forum for answers about rent stabilized apartments and tenants rights (which I assume most don't know). Won't be asking any more questions for my daughter. Thanks for your help.
Flipflops506

Postby 10ants » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

the answer is no.

I had an apartment with an airline style sink, one cabinet, and a two burner stove. I've seen some with the same setup and a mini-under-counter fridge.

I believe that the requirement in the MDL is that you have a cooking facility (stove), and a sink. Cabinets are not required, and the kitchen does not need to be a separate room, though it can't be in a bedroom.
10ants

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:53 am

AFAIK, there is no requirement for a kitchen or kitchenette in either the NYS Multiple Dwelling Law or the NYC Housing Maintenance Code (although hot water is required). Think small one-room studios or SRO's. No requirements for stoves, refrigerators, sinks, cabinets, etc., although in most apartments that is the custom.

However if an apartment does have a kitchen or kitchenette, there are any number of rules as to ventilation, fire protections and so on. For example, a kitchenette can exist in a one-room studio, but it must be protected on three sides by fire-resistant material. Usually that would mean some sort of alcove.

TenantNet

Postby Flipflops506 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks!
Flipflops506

Postby 10ants » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:50 pm

TenantNet wrote:AFAIK, there is no requirement for a kitchen or kitchenette in either the NYS Multiple Dwelling Law or the NYC Housing Maintenance Code (although hot water is required). Think small one-room studios or SRO's. No requirements for stoves, refrigerators, sinks, cabinets, etc., although in most apartments that is the custom.

However if an apartment does have a kitchen or kitchenette, there are any number of rules as to ventilation, fire protections and so on. For example, a kitchenette can exist in a one-room studio, but it must be protected on three sides by fire-resistant material. Usually that would mean some sort of alcove.

Hmmm.. I thought having both a kitchen and a private bathroom were requirements in order to be a class A apartment -- SROs are class B apartments.

The latter rules are in the building code, if I recall.
10ants

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 pm

But DOB is not the same as MDL or HMC.

DOB would not require anything either, but if provided, then there are rules. DOB deals with things like egress, construction practices, live and dead loads, etc.

If I remember, DOB does not use the Class A/B designations. They have something like J1 and J2. It would be HPD that used the A/B designations.

TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments