TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Failure to notify tenants of false registration information

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Failure to notify tenants of false registration informat

Postby structure01 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:11 pm

LL pretended that my 60 days had not passed to be able to issue the non-response within the 60 day period.I have the USPS delivery receipts to prove this was not a lie.
structure01

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:13 pm

A new lease now - might essentially "correct" the last 6-7 years even though logically it doesn't, It will depend on the rent you've paid over the last 6-7 years (did you pay the rent as it was in 2011, or did you pay any increases) and will also depend on the rent they offer you now. Is it based on the 2011 rent?

DHCR won't do anything unless you go to their Enforcement Bureau. Of course with DHCR, that at times may not be in your best interest. Having your rent frozen at 2011 levels might - in some circumstances - be better for you.

So look at the new lease they are offering you. Also look at the reverse side of DHCR form RTP-8 to see your options.

If you're 60 days is not yet up, and you intend on staying, one option is to "accept" the offer, but write "under protest" on the offer. and send a side letter with the reasons for the protest. Do not cross out anything as that gives the LL the excuse to claim you "altered" the lease offer, and use that as a pretext to take you to court.

In the alternative you can "reject" the offer as being illegal. But don't say you're moving out. Send a side letter that the terms of the offer are not on the same terms and conditions as the last expiring lease, or do not conform with DHCR orders.

Whatever you do will likely promtp the LL to do something. So think ahead on how this all plays out.

And of course any communication - make copies and mail certified mail RRR. Document everything.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

LL turns tail on Termination and New lease renewal

Postby structure01 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 am

The LL has now rescinded the Termination/eviction attempt ( in my own case there was no legal basis, as I am still within my unexpired 60 response period.Pure retaliation against me by the LL for being the tenant organizer).

The LL also has rescinded the renewal lease because all the the invalid terms and conditions I enumerated in our letter to the LL were correct. The LL states they are going back to :work "with DHCR on a new lease renewal. I know what they intend to do which will result in yet another invalid lease.

My state senator with whom I have been working ( a well as my City Council member- both are a lot of work- but do try) has told my LL they will be required to appear at a meeting with DHCR and the tenants at which what the LL does that is illegal now and in the past ( using past DHCR orders with which the LL has refused to comply) will be explained to the LL by DHCR I, as tenant rep, intend to be very vocal at that meeting,

Right now, I am working on our rent overcharge complaints ( thank you tenantnet for the fraud case citation I will use to go back more than 4 years) and the false registration complaints. I want to have this going before the joint DHCR meeting to hem in our LL.

Tonight, I made a settlement offer to our LL on the rent overcharge issue for them to avoid the fraud aspect of an official filing. I have little to no hope, but why not try?

We have many other ongoing issues including their unwillingness to comply with the American with Disabilities Act and to provide maintenance as required. Might as well go for them all.

Anyone has any experience with any of the topics I have touched on briefly I am always open to new thoughts.

For me, this is a matter of justice. They are a $50mm/yr non-profit which is not deserving of your tax payer dollars. Those who cannot protect themselves deserve some help from these the arrogant do-nothings.

If I have anything happening worth relating I will write again.Love to hear any wisdom out there
structure01

Postby TenantNet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:00 am

Which State Senator and City Council Member? Most pander to local constituents but are horrible on big picture items.

As long as you don't have a lease, your rent doesn't go up, so it's not all bad ... and you still have all your rights as a RS tenant.

Neither politician can require a LL to show up at any meeting. That's DHCR's decision. If there is a DHCR mediation (useless) or hearing (almost useless), consider having an attorney there. You don't necessarily want to be too "vocal," but convincing. Are there any NFP tenant groups in the area where you live?

As for ADA, that's a good thing to work for, but be careful on what you ask for. That might involve physical alterations to the property. I do not know if you can file ADA complaints unless you actually have a disabled tenant who is compromised.

What is the NFP of which you speak? Better to answer that on Private Mail.

TenantNet

Postby structure01 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:48 am

Thank you for you private mail offer. I clicked on private mail/tenantnet and I got a response that I was trying to contact with too many users.

If you could give me correct direction as to how to contact using private mail I really appreciate your taking the time to give you the specifics.

I will check back. Thanks for the time and attention to our group.
structure01

Postby TenantNet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 am

I got a response that I was trying to contact with too many users.

I have no idea what this means, or what you did. Private Mail seems to work for all other users.

Alternatively you can use the "Contact Us" page at the very bottom of this page.

TenantNet

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments