TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Apartement in Multi dwelling townhouse Harlem

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Apartement in Multi dwelling townhouse Harlem

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Reading the text you've provided, unless the building was converted after 1/1/68 (which it doesn't sound like it was), the LL is only required to put in an intercom if a majority of the tenants request it. Based on your description of the situation, it sounds like almost all of the apartments (other than yours) are occupied by the LL and his family/friends, so will be tough to get that majority.
BubbaJoe123

Postby Mrfochon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:22 am

We are the last tenant. All others were “asked” (offered a buy out) toeave.
LL does not live in the building making us major tenant !

How do we request ? Straight by mail / email?

Also hearing was postponed to Jan.
Mrfochon

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:25 am

You're the last real tenants. Are the other units occupied by anyone at all? if so, who?

In our view, if you're ONLY unit that's occupied, then that's 100%. OF course the LL will disagree. Still, have you sent them a letter asking for the intercom/buzzer?

Still, it seems your more important issue is the pending eviction. I would dwell on that.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Mrfochon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 am

We are the last tenant. No one else lives in the building. Sometimes LL stays over in one bedroom but is not their permanent residence.
What can they object ?
We did send a letter and was escalated with HPD. Then HOD said no intercom was installed so there is no need to have one installed which I will be arguing in court early Jan. When I asked HOD Lawyer about the above mentioned article he refused to advise since he was on the opposite party. But I ll bring it up early Jan in court.

Also eviction case was dismissed.
I m also surprised that LL can offer a buyout to some tenant and not others. Are they not tied to all or none ?
Mrfochon

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 am

Please type more carefully or use a keyboard. HOD?

If you file a HP Action, then HPD would be on your side. Why are they on the opposite side now? You haven't made that clear.

As I said, the owner occupancy eviction is/was the more important issue. But glad to hear it was dismissed. What was the basis for the dismissal, and is it with or without prejudice?

In general, we do not advocate buyouts.

Is your attorney on the case for the intercom? If so, then he/she should be able to figure out all of this.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Mrfochon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:52 pm

hi all,

posting some updates.
we won our case but were not awarded any damage since the prior lawyer messed thing up with the opposite party lawyer, long story short.
weird thing, DHCR put the landlord on Harrassement but they are now doing construction with legal permit filed. and their stop work order has been removed.

we are now looking at rent overcharge as well. hard to prove your point without finding the prior tenants. no rent was registrered but eventually the one in 1984 that is zeroed. this person is the prior LL so can be forced to produce rent document in court.
we found a couple of prior tenant that are all over the country.

edit:
LL is attempting to update CO to reflect the apartment as one unit and not two as per last document. she told us straight out that she wants to collect rent from any tenant their, we re the only one, so obviously us :)

work in progress.

Voila, let me know if you have any question
Mrfochon

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments