TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

NYCHA Grand daughter Succession rights

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

NYCHA Grand daughter Succession rights

Postby nycgirl80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm

My grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago. We had been trying to put my name on the lease (NYCHA Public Housing) for a while now, but housing kept giving us the runaround. So when he passed he was the only person on the lease, my name is on nothing. I have been living here with my children for about 4 years now, taking care of him. He paid the major bills, but all my mail comes here (doctors, cell phone, taxes, kids school). I'm a beneficiary on his insurance, my kids go to school around here and everything. My family has been in this apartment since MY DAD was a child and it means alot to our family. Is there ANYTHING I can do to keep this apartment???
nycgirl80

Re: NYCHA Grand daughter Succession rights

Postby TenantNet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:58 pm

You posted in the rent regulated section, but then you say you are in NYCHA housing.

We deal primarily with rent stab and rent control housing, not NYCHA. I could tell you about succession in rent stab, but to be honest we don't know the NYCHA rules.

I would take a look at this document:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/downl ... ESSION.pdf

Or just Google "NYCHA succession rights"

I would also consult with an attorney who practices in NYCHA issues. Having an attorney might cost a few bucks, but in the end pays for itself.In the long run, it's better to get ahead of the game.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments